sábado, 12 de septiembre de 2009

FRANKENSTEIN


After reading Frankenstein I could not stop thinking on my childhood. The image of “that monster” that I used to see in some movies comes to seem for me very different and not as terrible as I used to think.


While I was reading, I started to realize that Frankenstein was not so bad, even if he murdered Victor’s girlfriend. To be clearer, I would say this main character suffered a lot. In fact, he can be seen as the representation of manipulation and the desire of power from a human being, who was Victor in this case. Metaphorically speaking, Frankenstein is like the extension of his creator who wanted to create a being that could be able to do what he could not do, such as loving. From my point of view, Frankenstein was just a victim of the sense of greatness of man, suffering discrimination, unhappiness, loneliness, emptiness, rejection and hate by many members of society.


Concluding with my reflection, I would like to argue that we can use Frankenstein’s story to include it in education. As teachers, we can work with students analyzing elements such as discrimination and relate it with some specific situations that exist within the classroom. We can not forget that probably there are many Frankenstein “inside our own classroom” or which is more terrible and dangerous, some teachers can be “capable to create” little monsters. For this, literature is an important, useful and a really good tool to use it in the process of learning and teaching values!

1 comentario:

Clau dijo...

Very well linked to education!!
And it's true some bad teachers will become students’ monster, but is it contradictory to use the same word "monster" and explain it in different words? why is that? why a teacher may become a monster too? is s/he also a victim of society? how?


Take care,

claudia